Photo Record
Images
Metadata
Catalog Number |
1990.960.044 |
Object Name |
Print, Photographic |
Description |
An aerial photo looking east on the farm as it was c. 1955. At this point, the Windeyer's had greatly increased farming operations and had added many new buildings, including a green house, a new silo, and planted many crops to be sold at the Farm Stand (see 1990.960.042). |
Image File Name |
1955 - Aerial Photo of Farm - Somenos Lake - 1990960044 - jpg72 - 001 |
Date (y/m/d) |
1955/ / |
Place |
Somenos Lake |
Provenance |
The S-amuna’/Somenos Marsh has a long history of occupation and use by the people of the Cowichan Tribes. The Somenos Farm was first settled in 1911 by Joseph and Elmire Roy. In March 1934 Guy Stanley Windeyer and his wife Irene Noel Windeyer purchased the Roy property and took up residence shortly thereafter while making significant changes to the farm. Among those changes was a colourful roadside stand that, for several years, attracted many road weary motorists traveling down the highway. The Windeyers developed a reputation for producing a large variety of top-grade produce that included corn, strawberries, potatoes and a swathe of fruit trees. Their orchards of dwarf trees included apple, pear, peach and cherry. The Windeyers lived at the Somenos Lake Farm for over 43 years. Somenos Lake Farm was located in what is now the site of the BC Forest Discovery Centre. |
Search Terms |
Somenos Lake Farm Windeyer Duncan Somenos Farm Barn aerieal |
Collection |
Somenos Farm |
People |
Windeyer Roy |
Subjects |
Somenos Farm Documentary, Cowichan Valley |
